Monday, May 23, 2011

Dear winds of change

Watching last week's Smackdown made me very happy. Ok, not the part where my fave, Natalya, lost to a Bella of all things, but because I start to sense the WWE's attempts to legitimize the Women's division once again. How are they doing this? Well in very subtle ways right now, but they made their mark. Backstage interviews with the women? Unheard of considering no one ever cared about what they had to say before. A screen cap of an upcoming Diva's match for a PPV? I can't remember the last time I seriously saw something like this:


Natalya had to carry the match to make the Bella look somewhat serious for her upcoming match with Kelly Kelly, so I understand. But I think the WWE seriously missed their opportunity to have a real women's competitor stand up to Kharma. I know it's coming, just hoped for a little sneak preview. Patience I suppose.

I wonder if these various first steps made by the WWE have anything to do with TNA changing to "IMPACT Wrestling" and talking about how wrestling is what it's about, and that their women are serious competitors. I wonder if Vince is getting a little nervous and is trying to make the women's division about wrestling again too, and not just talk and good looks. Though it's going to be hard for them to sway my love for the Winter/Angelina Love/VelvetSky angle they've got going on over on Impact.

This however, is just scary:

No comments:

Post a Comment