Sunday, February 20, 2011

Dear photographer - please go fuck yourself

Today I assisted on a photo shoot as a lighting girl. The studio was in a big warehouse mostly used by musicians to play their shitty music. The model was a young Asian girl who originally told the photographer she wanted a Suicide Girl-esque theme for her photos. Lies.

She came in a strapless, prissy dress that could barely stand up on her very slender frame. And she posed like a modest mouse afraid of stepping on a trap. There was no strength there, no seduction. It's moments like this it seems, where I'm being reminded of how my taste in beauty is changing.

Let me say here, that I've tried posing for photos and I am a horrible model. The worst. Mostly in terms of direction, and mostly because I think I'm right and the photographer is wrong. So anyone who can get in front of a camera and a stranger and take direction well, I really do applaud. I'm not knocking models. I'm knocking the preconceived notion that we're all brought up to believe that beautiful women can only be these little sprites floating around in strapless dresses.

But I digress, and bring you my own before photos, as I promised. Me as I am now, probably as weak and lazy as can be. Good starting point I think.



No comments:

Post a Comment